Tuesday 6 March 2012

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

                   FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS




If you have not yet seen Friday Night Lights ,you have or are missing an amazing powerful TV programme that doesn't pull any punches .Its rife with heartache ,sport and deals with racism. I read the book whilst I was on holiday and it was a "not" put down book and I read every page within a couple of days. So far Ive seen the first three episodes of season one and its as intense and as powerful as the book was. I cant believe this series escaped my attention until now but you can bet your last penny I am now all over it and its 100% locked on series link.
A question or two now for my American friends , I believe its a true story if I remember correctly in my drunken , relaxed holiday mode.Is it a hard fact true story or loosely based on truth ? You see many programmes that say "based " on a true story yet there usually comes a story ,that its nothing like or nowhere the truth.
Over here in the UK when I was at school back in ahemmmmmahemmmmm cough cough shhhhhh 1983 (now that's between thee n me pal :) ) it was nothing like High Schools in the USA appear to be.Are towns solely addicted to High School Football like in this programme? In the series everyone and everything is based and lives primarily for the school team ,is it  really so intense and do teams really attract so much media interest on TV and radio? Do schools really hire head coaches just for a school team and is there so much emphasis on sport at schools?
By comparison over here a school (well back in my day,not sure how different it is now) will have  PE teachers and a head PE teacher and they will teach football (soccer to my American readers) ,cricket,rugby ,gymnastics,volleyball and say athletics's. We would get a couple of hours a week in whichever subject it was at the time and off we would go. We would,if we wanted to do after school training for football and cricket etc and the teachers would do this voluntarily ( I think they still do ). If you got selected for the football or say cricket team you would play and there would be one man and his dog ,if you were lucky watching not the huge crowds America seems to get.
When I see the programme I find myself thinking  how different our countries are in both coaching standard's and after school life ,here there is none of every member of a the team having fans ,groupies and hangers on that are  all out in the same burger/ice-cream parlour.
Feel free to educate me in the comments .



No comments:

Post a Comment