Monday 23 April 2012

DAWKINS RETIRES

Brian Dawkins has announced his retirement via Twitter ......
He tweeted  " The Lord has blessed me to play in the NFL for 16 years," Dawkins wrote. I would like to thank the Eagles & the Broncos 4 believing In me. I would like to thank all my teammates & Coaches that I have been blessed to go to battle with. Along with u, the fans 4 helping make my career 1 that I have enjoyed tremendously. In other words, I am announcing my retirement from the NFL."
It is rumoured the Eagles have contacted him with regards retiring as an Eagle where he is still regarded as one of their greatest ever players.I think this was always going to be the case and he will still always held in great esteem in the Bronco world.
He played three seasons in Denver where he played in 41 games, having 233 tackles , 5 sacks , 3 interceptions and 3 fumble recoveries. He went to the pro bowl 9 times and went as Bronco in 2 of these appearances. He will be sorely missed and unless we draft here I think we will have a huge hole to fill as we saw last season.
Coach Fox has since released this statement...

“Brian Dawkins is one of the best to ever play the game, a future Hall of Famer who changed the way his position is played. In many ways, he helped my job as a coach with his great leadership and preparation. He brought so much to the table, and was such an enormous asset to our football team.

“His contributions go far beyond the wins, interceptions, sacks and Pro Bowls he accumulated during his career. Brian is the definition of class, and is what you want in a leader. I know our players, coaches, fans and so many within the National Football League feel the same way.

“I competed against Brian for many years with the Giants and coached him once in the Pro Bowl, but to be around him every day for a season was truly special. I’m not sure there was a more respected guy in our building than Brian. He knows defence, he knows football, and he knows what it takes to win. I’ve got the utmost admiration for him as both a player and person.

“It’s been an honor and a privilege to coach Brian. Although I will miss the positive impact he had on our team, I congratulate Brian on a tremendous career, and wish him and his family all the best going forward.”

No comments:

Post a Comment